(Photo from: MindBodyGreen.com)
Our body needs sodium- no doubt about it, but too much sodium can harm our bodies. The Average recommended sodium intake is about 1,500 mg max. Too much sodium intake can lead to high blood pressure, fluid retention (edema), cardiovascular disease, etc.
Spending time counting your calories won’t really help much if you are taking in a lot of sodium. We should definitely watch our sodium intake as well. Here are a list of “healthy” foods that have more sodium than a bag of potato chips.
- 1/2 cup of cottage cheese
- Whole wheat pita bread- I know! Crazy! But it has a lot of sodium
- 2 tbsp of reduced- fat Italian dressing- That’s only 2 tbsp!!
- Veggie Burger- It needs the flavoring a.k.a sodium
- 1/2 cup of canned tomato sauce- 642 mg of sodium per 1/2 cup. OH MY!
Trying to eat healthy is a chore, you have to watch what you eat, the calories, the fats, the sodium but the benefits of eating healthy will last for a long time. So definitely keep in mind that we need to watch our sodium intake. The results will soon come after that.